Monday, June 2, 2014

Introduction

  Hey everyone!

   I have decided to add another blog to the list. Much like education, science is near and dear to my heart, specifically the ocean and atmospheric sciences. Many of my readers may be familiar with my Google+ page  and my Facebook page. It is on these pages that I post links to current research abstracts and some fun things about weather and oceans.
   Science blogs are not always the most popular blogs but I hope I can enlighten what the research I read means to you. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to enjoy this blog just an interest in the process of science. I follow many people who make weather predictions. I don't want to do that here. I would rather talk about the bigger picture, overall implications, and the impacts that these climate patterns involving weather and ocean systems can have on our society.
   Before I talk about some really big things, such as El Nino or hurricanes. I will attempt to give you a basic overview of the scientific concepts involved. I am looking forward to the opportunity to discuss these things with you! If at any point you have any questions, please ask! There is a good chance that someone else has the same question!
   I will also be writing, on occasion, the research projects that I am or have worked on. I began at Virginia Western Community College as a Math major and switched to Chemistry when I began Roanoke College. Until I took a Physics class, then I knew I was in love and much better prepared for the material this time around. Therefore, I will talk about Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, Fluid Dynamics (tough stuff but I am going to give it a try!), Climatology, Atmosphere-Ocean Interactions, Physical Oceanography, and how all these topics can influence biological factors.
   Currently, I am in Myrtle beach area for the summer working on an interdisciplinary project involving oyster larvae and turbulence. In these particular posts, I will talk about the scientific process and what goes on behind the scenes of these studies. The only spoiler that I can give you is that they do not always work as they are planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment